Interested in Becoming a Question Writer?
The OBOB committee is now accepting applications for writers for the 2024 tournaments.
About the Position
OBOB question writers are assigned one book from the official OBOB reading list to read in its entirety and use to write trivia questions. Writers’ questions are then edited and formatted, and they become the official questions used in all local, regional, and state level OBOB tournaments. Writers must be familiar with OBOB and understand how the tournaments are structured, as well as know the procedure for individual battles.
- Write concisely and use correct grammar
- Use Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Attend a mandatory Zoom or conference call training
- Communicate with OBOB editors promptly and be willing to rewrite questions as needed
- Adhere to a submission deadline
- Read a minimum of one title from the official OBOB list
- Write fifty to sixty original In Which Book questions
- Write fifty to sixty original Content questions
- Read and adhere to the OBOB Question Writing Guidelines
- Keep all official OBOB questions absolutely confidential
- Must not be a 2023-24 OBOB participant (student)
Dates and Deadlines
- April 15, 2024: Application deadline
- Attend a mandatory conference call training prior to writing questions:
April 29, 2023; 11:00 A.M. – Noon
May 1, 2023; 7:00 – 8:00 P.M.
- May-June 2023: Read assigned OBOB book and write questions
- June 30, 2023: Final deadline to submit questions to division-level editors
If you are interested in being an official OBOB question writer, click on this link to apply:
If you have questions, contact:
OBOB Questions Editor